- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cottonwood Cycles is the local go-to for mountain- (and road-) bike equipment and guidance. All bike styles are available to rent by the day or week; you can reserve online. 4370 E. Main St., 87402, Farmington. 505/326-0429.
The 30-mi Road Apple Rally—around since 1981, it was one of the first of its kind for mountain bikes—takes place in the Glade Run Recreation Area every October. During the rest of the year, bikers can traverse over 19,000 challenging acres of slick rock and sandy washes. Trails in the north end of the Glade are marked for mountain- and dirt-bike use only; the more southerly trails are shared with ATVs. Check at the BLM office or local bike stores for maps and information. 1235 La Plata Hwy., Farmington, 87401. 505/599–8900. www.blm.gov/nm/. Free. Daily, dawn–dusk.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe