- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sugarite Canyon State Park
Sugarite Canyon State Park Review
Sugarite Canyon State Park, a gem of a park near the Colorado state line, has some of the state's best hiking, camping, wildflower viewing, fishing, and bird-watching ("sugarite" is a corruption of the Comanche word chicorica, meaning "an abundance of birds," and is pronounced shug-ur-eet). The road to Sugarite twists and turns high up into the canyon to Lake Maloya, a trout-stocked body of water from which a spillway carries overflow down into the canyon. From its 7,800-foot elevation hills rise up the eastern and western canyon walls where miners once dug for ore; you can still see gray slag heaps and remnants of the coal camp, which thrived here from 1910 to 1940, along portions of the park road near the visitor center (the former coal-camp post office) and down near the base of the canyon. The center contains exhibits on the mining legacy, and from here you can hike 1½ mi to the original camp.
Hikes elsewhere in the park range from the easy ½-mi Grande Vista Nature Trail to the pleasant 4-mi jaunt around Lake Maloya to the challenging Opportunity Trail. "Caprock" is the name given to the park's striking basaltic rock columns, which were formed millions of years ago when hot lava from a nearby volcano created the 10- to 100-foot-thick rocks. Climbing is permitted on these sheer cliffs, although it's not recommended for the faint of heart.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $64-$79 -- Albuquerque Hotel near World's Longest Tramway Native Lodge - A Heritage Hotel & Resort
- $119-$149 -- Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, w/City Tour Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
- $119 -- Sheraton Albuquerque w/Breakfast & Baseball Tickets — $119 Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel
Will be driving (with my wife & two small kids) from Malibu to Santa Fe in a couple of weeks. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more