Northeastern New Mexico Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Northeastern New Mexico
Historic Hotels. History comes alive at the vintage hotels and saloons of the Santa Fe Trail, whether spending the night at Cimarron's St. James Hotel or Las Vegas's Plaza Hotel, or counting the bullet holes in the ceiling of the Eklund Hotel Dining Room & Saloon.
Wide-open spaces. The high plains give a new meaning to solitude. If you're ever feeling crowded or hemmed in by humanity, try driving across Johnson Mesa via NM 72.
High-mountain majesty. The rocky cliffs, pine-covered valleys, and clear streams that form the eastern flank of the Sangre de Cristos offer respite from big-city life and summer temperatures.
Small-town pleasures. Raton and Las Vegas have lively Downtowns with old-fashioned cafés and antiques shops, while smaller villages like Cimarron, Clayton, and Springer look as though transported from an earlier era.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Days Inn West Albuquerque 3 Nts in May Fr $51+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Albuquerque for Less: Hotels Fr $50+/Nt Travelocity
- Dream Deal: BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn 4 Nts + Air Fr $436 Expedia
- $7.60 & up : Compact rentals in Albuquerque Hotwire
- May deal: Econo Lodge Midtown Fr $57+/Nt — $57 Expedia