- 400,000 hungry bats From mid-May to late October, bats wing to and from the caverns in a swirling, visible tornado.
- Take a guided tour through the underworld Plummet 75 stories underground and step into enormous caves hung with stalactites and bristling with stalagmites.
- Living Desert Zoo and Gardens More preserve than zoo, this 1,500-acre park houses scores of rare species, including endangered Mexican wolves, Bolson tortoises, and black bears.
- Birding at Rattlesnake Springs Nine-tenths of the park's 330 bird species, including roadrunners, golden eagles, and acrobatic cave swallows, visit this green desert oasis.
- Pecos River A Southwest landmark and recreational oasis, the Pecos River flows through the heart of nearby Carlsbad.
80° BY THE SEA
Looking for a beach vacation? Let us help you find the right spot.More