- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Albuquerque Museum of Art and History
Albuquerque Museum of Art and History Review
This modern structure houses the largest collection of Spanish-colonial artifacts in the nation, along with a superb photo archive and other relics of the city's birth and development. The Common Ground galleries represent an important permanent collection of primarily 20th-century paintings, all by world-renowned artists with a New Mexico connection. Changing exhibits also reveal a commitment to historically important artists and photographers of the 20th and 21st centuries. The centerpiece, Four Centuries: A History of Albuquerque, is a pair of life-size models of Spanish conquistadors in original chain mail and armor. Perhaps the one on horseback is Francisco Vásquez de Coronado, who, in search of gold, led a small army into New Mexico in 1540—a turning point in the region's history. A multimedia presentation chronicles the development of the city since 1875. The sculpture garden contains more than 50 contemporary works by Southwestern artists that include Glenna Goodacre, Michael Naranjo, and Luis Jiménez. Visitors may also take advantage of three 45-minute, free (with museum admission) tours. Slate at the Museum, a casual eatery operated by Downtown's excellent Slate Street Cafe, serves soups, salads, espresso drinks, desserts, and other tasty light fare.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $52.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Albuquerque Hotwire
- May deal: Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Albuquerque Fr $62+/Nt Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Unbeatable Price: 4 Nts The Blue + Air Fr $424 Expedia
- $7.60 & up : Compact rentals in Albuquerque Hotwire
- $64.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Albuquerque — $64 Hotwire
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more