- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Emlen Physick Estate
Emlen Physick Estate Review
Peer into the life of the Victorian elite during a 45-minute tour of the 18-room mansion built in 1879 for Emlen Physick, a nonpracticing physician (courtesy of a family inheritance) who lived with his mother and maiden aunt. The mansion's timber-outline exterior is in Stick Style, avant-garde for its day. Guides point out original furnishings and discuss period customs and clothing. Most tours can be combined with trolley rides through Cape May's Historic District and, on Fridays, tours have a family focus. Take time for afternoon tea or a light lunch at the Twining's Tearoom, in the estate's carriage house. Entrance to the adjacent Carriage House Gallery is included in the tour price. The estate is home office to the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities (MAC), the nonprofit organization formed in 1970 to save the mansion from the wood pile; it now promotes restoration throughout Cape May.
- Address: 1048 Washington St., Cape May, NJ 08204 | Map It
- Phone: 609/884–5404; 800/275–4278
- Cost: $10 adults, $5 children ages 3–12 (one child free with every adult admission for "Family Friday" tours)
- Hours: Mid-June–mid-Sept., daily 9:30–5; mid-Sept.–Dec., daily 11–4; Jan.–mid-Mar., weekends 10–3; mid-Mar.–Apr., Sun.–Fri. 11–3, Sat. 10–5; May–mid-June, daily 10:30–4:30
- Website: www.capemaymac.org
- Location: Cape May
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
2nd time in AC in 6 months. Read more
This past week my partner, Peter, and I flew down to my place in Naples, Florida for a few days, then spent five days driving my little 2 seater convertible up to NJ. Read more
Renting a car in DC and after a week @ Jersey Shore will end our trip in NYC.
Prefer not to drive all the way into Manhattan.
Is there someplace to drop the rental and catch the train into the city? Read more
· News & Features
Wine Enthusiast went coast to coast in search of America's superlative wine-and-dine hot spots and came ... Read more
Atlantic City's been having a tough go lately, but we think that now is the time to hit the boardwalk—you'll... Read more
Poker tables can be intimidating.... Read more