- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Lincoln Woods Trail. A couple of short hiking trails off the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112) yield great rewards with relatively little effort. The Lincoln Woods Trail starts from the large parking lot of the Lincoln Woods Visitor Center, 4 mi east of Lincoln. Here you can purchase the recreation pass ($5 per vehicle, good for seven consecutive days) needed to park in any of the White Mountain National Forest lots or overlooks; stopping briefly to take photos or to use the restrooms at the visitor center is permitted without a pass. The trail crosses a suspension bridge over the Pemigewasset River and follows an old railroad bed for 3 mi along the river. NH. www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain.
Sabbaday Falls. The parking and picnic area for Sabbaday Falls, about 15 mi west of Conway, is the trailhead for an easy ½-mi route to a multilevel cascade that plunges through two potholes and a flume. Swimming is not allowed here; only viewing. Off Kancamagus Highway, NH.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn