- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Nestlenook Estate and Resort. Nestlenook Estate and Resort maintains an outdoor ice-skating rink with rentals, music, and a bonfire. Snowshoeing and sleigh rides are other winter options; in summer you can fly-fish or ride in a horse-drawn carriage. Dinsmore Rd., Jackson, NH, 03846. 603/383-7101. www.nestlenookfarm.com.
Black Mountain. Friendly, informal Black Mountain has a warming southern exposure. The Family Passport allows two adults and two juniors to ski at discounted rates. Midweek rates ($35) are usually the lowest in Mt. Washington Valley. The 40 trails and glades on the 1,100-foot mountain are evenly divided among beginner, intermediate, and expert. There's a nursery for kids six months and up. Enjoy guided horseback riding in the summer. 373 Black Mountain Rd., Jackson, NH, 03846. 603/383-4490; 800/475-4669 snow conditions. www.blackmt.com.
Jackson Ski Touring Foundation. One of the nation's top four cross-country skiing areas, Jackson Ski Touring Foundation has 97 mi of trails. Many of the trails are groomed for regular cross-country and skate skiing. You can arrange lessons and rentals at the lodge, in the center of Jackson Village. 153 Main St., Jackson, NH, 03846. 603/383-9355. www.jacksonxc.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $429* & up -- Premium Economy to Boston from California, O/W Virgin America
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line