The White Mountains Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Sailors approaching East Coast harbors frequently mistake the pale peaks of the White Mountains—the highest range in the northeastern United States—for clouds. It was 1642 when explorer Darby Field could no longer contain his curiosity about one mountain in particular. He set off from his Exeter homestead and became the first European to climb what would later be called Mt. Washington. The 6,288-foot peak must have presented Field with formidable obstacles—its summit claims the highest wind velocity in the world ever recorded (231 mph in 1934) and can see snow every month of the year.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best White Mountains restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The White Mountains
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $429* & up -- Premium Economy to Boston from California, O/W Virgin America
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
Some weekends, you're looking for more rugged terrain than city sidewalks.... Read more
New England hosts a cornucopia of food festivals throughout summer and fall that pay tribute to local... Read more
Emerge from the long winter with a wellness-inspired pick-me-up—set out for a rejuvenating getaway... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now65° F Clear 37% Humidity June 19, 2013 at 10:52AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My trip report is about a short trip to Jackson, NH that I just returned from. Read more
I've been coming up to the BOS GTG for years (2005 I think) and I always stay a few extra days for shopping and touring. Read more
Me and my wife are planning to visit USA on August, and trying to build 8 days round trip from NY by car that will include Niagra Falls and Toronto.
We are looking for a nice combination o Read more