- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Interstate 95 and Route 1 run through Portsmouth. From the west take Route 101 and from the north take Route 16. Amtrak runs through Durham, which is a short drive to the coast. Once in Portsmouth, you can walk about the downtown, though you'll want a car for further attractions. COAST Trolley's downtown loop hits most of the city's historical sights during the summer.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston