The Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Southwestern and south-central New Hampshire mix village charm with city hustle and bustle across two distinct regions. The Merrimack River valley has the state's largest and fastest-growing cities: Nashua, Manchester, and Concord. To the west, in the state's sleepy southwestern corner, is the Monadnock region, one of New Hampshire's least developed and most naturally stunning parts. Here you'll find plenty of hiking trails as well as peaceful hilltop hamlets that appear barely changed in the past two centuries. Mt. Monadnock, southern New Hampshire's largest peak, stands guard over the Monadnock region, which has more than 200 lakes and ponds. Rainbow trout, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and some northern pike swim in Chesterfield's Spofford Lake. Goose Pond, just north of Keene, holds smallmouth bass and white perch.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $429* & up -- Premium Economy to Boston from California, O/W Virgin America
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
Some weekends, you're looking for more rugged terrain than city sidewalks.... Read more
New England hosts a cornucopia of food festivals throughout summer and fall that pay tribute to local... Read more
Emerge from the long winter with a wellness-inspired pick-me-up—set out for a rejuvenating getaway... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now68° F Partly Cloudy 49% Humidity June 19, 2013 at 10:53AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My trip report is about a short trip to Jackson, NH that I just returned from. Read more
I've been coming up to the BOS GTG for years (2005 I think) and I always stay a few extra days for shopping and touring. Read more
Me and my wife are planning to visit USA on August, and trying to build 8 days round trip from NY by car that will include Niagra Falls and Toronto.
We are looking for a nice combination o Read more