The Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley Travel Guide
Plan Your The Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley Vacation
Southwestern and south-central New Hampshire mix village charm with city hustle and bustle across two distinct regions. The Merrimack River Valley has the state's largest and fastest-growing cities: Nashua, Manchester, and Concord. To the west, in the state's sleepy southwestern corner, is the Monadnock region, one of New Hampshire's least developed and most naturally stunning parts. Here you'll find plenty of hiking trails as well as peaceful hilltop hamlets that appear barely changed in the past two centuries. Mt. Monadnock, southern New Hampshire's largest peak, stands guard over the Monadnock region, which has more than 200 lakes and ponds. Rainbow trout, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and some northern pike swim in Chesterfield's Spofford Lake. Goose Pond, just north of Keene, holds smallmouth bass and white perch.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best The Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Monadnocks and Merrimack Valley
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $212 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 45% Off Sheraton Boston
- $157 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 45% Off The Westin Boston Waterfront
- $237 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel, 50% Off The Westin Copley Place, Boston
- Visit Manchester for Less: Hotels Fr $84+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Visit Manchester for Less: Hotels Fr $117+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown Fr $100+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Manchester this Apr Fr $121+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown Fr $133+/Nt Expedia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Sitting in our hotel after day one... Who: my husband, me, our 4&5 yea old boys When: June 18-20 Started our day hiking old bri... Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American wint... Read more