- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The small workaday town of Bristol serves as a base for exploring one of the Lakes Region's greatest treasures: 4,000-acre Newfound Lake, one of the state's deepest and purest bodies of water. You reach the spring-fed lake by driving 2 miles north along Route 3A, along which are several beaches. Bristol is also close to several popular hiking areas, including 3,121-foot Mt. Cardigan, in nearby Alexandria, and Bit and Little Sugarloaf peaks, the trailhead for which is reached along West Shore Road, near the entrance to Wellington State Beach. The Newfound River runs through town and is great for fishing salmon, rainbow trout, and largemouth bass.
Elsewhere in Lakes Region
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's