Lakes Region Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Plan Your Lakes Region Vacation
Lake Winnipesaukee, a Native American name for "smile of the great spirit," is the largest of the dozens of lakes scattered across the eastern half of central New Hampshire. With about 240 miles of shoreline of inlets and coves, it's the largest in the state. Some claim Winnipesaukee has an island for each day of the year—the total, though impressive, falls short: 274.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Lakes Region restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Lakes Region
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
Now45° F Clear 27% Humidity April 20, 2014 at 10:55AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
I was just up in Franconia Notch this past weekend and the foliage is PRIME! Read more
My nieces and I are going to be spending a week in Prince Edward Island, and spending the previous week going from Boston area (we'll spend three days or so there, probably Saturday to Monday) and are due Read more