- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Greyhound provides regular Las Vegas service; the bus terminal is Downtown. Visit its website for fare and schedule information. Cash and credit cards are accepted, but reservations are not. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. The most frequent route out of Las Vegas is the one to Los Angeles, with departures a few times a day; the trip takes five to eight hours, depending on stops. Fares start around $35 one way. Arriving at the bus station 30 to 45 minutes before your bus departs nearly always ensures you a seat. On Sunday evening and Monday morning, arriving an hour or more before departure is recommended.
The county-operated Citizens Area Transit (CAT) runs local buses throughout the city and to most corners of sprawling Las Vegas Valley. The overall quality of bus service along the main thoroughfares is good. Nonlocals typically only ride CAT buses up and down the Strip, between Mandalay Bay and the Stratosphere. Some continue on to the Downtown Transportation Center. If you're heading to outlying areas, you may need to change buses Downtown. Mornings and afternoons the buses are frequently crowded, with standing room only. The fare for residential CAT buses is $2
The Deuce is a special double-decker CAT bus that rides the Strip for $5 (exact change required; $1 bills are accepted). All Deuce fares include transfers on residential CAT routes as well. The Deuce, which began service in 2005, certainly is a unique way to explore new and old Vegas alike. Buses stop on the street in front of all the major hotels every 12-17 minutes (in a perfect world) between 7 am and 2:30 am and every 21 minutes between 2:30 and 5:30 am. Because traffic is quite heavy along the Strip, delays are frequent. Also, because the bus route has become popular among tourists, 24-hour passes ($7) and three-day passes ($20) are available.
Citizens Area Transit (702/228-7433. www.rtcsouthernnevada.com.)
Greyhound (800/231-2222. www.greyhound.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $116* & up -- Last-Minute Las Vegas Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $149 & up -- Vegas: 5-Diamond Venetian Resort, Save 50% BookIt.com
- $79 & up -- 4- & 5- Star Vegas Hotels, up to 65% Off BookIt.com
- $55 -- Las Vegas: 'Pawn Stars' VIP Tour, $10 Off Pawn Stars VIP Tour
- $22 & up -- Las Vegas Resort Sale, Up to 30% Off — $22 Caesars Entertainment