- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Las Vegas 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Stratosphere Thrill Rides
Stratosphere Thrill Rides Review
High above the Strip at the tip of the Stratosphere Tower are three major thrill rides that will scare the bejeezus out of you, especially if you have even the slightest fear of heights. Don't even think about heading up here if you have serious vertigo. People have been known to get sick just watching these rides.
The Big Shot would be a monster ride on the ground, but starting from the 112th floor—and climaxing at more than 1,000 feet above the Strip—makes it twice as wild. Four riders are strapped into chairs on four sides of the needle, which rises from the Stratosphere's observation pod. With little warning, you're flung 160 feet up the needle at 45 mph, then dropped like a rock. The whole thing is over in less than a minute, but your knees will wobble for the rest of the day.
The XScream tips passengers 27 feet over the edge of the tower like a giant seesaw again and again. Sit in the very front to get an unobstructed view of the Strip, more than 800 feet straight down!
Another unobstructed view can be seen by dangling over the edge of the tower off the arm of Insanity. The arm pivots and hangs you out 64 feet from the edge of the tower; then it spins you faster and faster, so you're lifted to a 70-degree angle by a centrifugal force that's the equivalent of 3 g-forces.
The newest ride, SkyJump Las Vegas, is a controlled free-fall that sends you careening off the side of the 108th floor.
- Address: Stratosphere, 2000 Las Vegas Blvd. S, North Strip, Las Vegas, NV 89104 | Map It
- Phone: 702/380–7711
- Cost: Tower $18 adults, $10 kids; Big Shot, XScream or Insanity $15; SkyJump $109 and up; Unlimited rides and tower day pass $34
- Hours: Sun.–Thurs. 10 am–1 am, Fri. and Sat. 10 am–2 am
- Website: www.stratospherehotel.com/Tower/Rides
- Location: North Strip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We flew out of SFO late Saturday; the Virgin Airline plane was half-full. Read more
In-N-Out. Read more
Hi everyone, I'm posting this in the Central America and US forum and would love your opinion on this itinerary for the mexico experts out there
we are in our late 20s, married and wanting to do a las Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across ... Read more
Our correspondent "studied" hard at the Food & Wine All-Star Weekend in Vegas this month, which featured... Read more
Whether you're heading to Vegas, or heading back to LA (and trying to forget the weekend's indecencies),... Read more