- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Stratosphere Thrill Rides
Stratosphere Thrill Rides Review
High above the Strip at the tip of the Stratosphere Tower are three major thrill rides that will scare the bejeezus out of you, especially if you have even the slightest fear of heights. Don't even think about heading up here if you have serious vertigo. People have been known to get sick just watching these rides.
The Big Shot would be a monster ride on the ground, but starting from the 112th floor—and climaxing at more than 1,000 feet above the Strip—makes it twice as wild. Four riders are strapped into chairs on four sides of the needle, which rises from the Stratosphere's observation pod. With little warning, you're flung 160 feet up the needle at 45 mph, then dropped like a rock. The whole thing is over in less than a minute, but your knees will wobble for the rest of the day.
The XScream tips passengers 27 feet over the edge of the tower like a giant seesaw again and again. Sit in the very front to get an unobstructed view of the Strip, more than 800 feet straight down!
Another unobstructed view can be seen by dangling over the edge of the tower off the arm of Insanity. The arm pivots and hangs you out 64 feet from the edge of the tower; then it spins you faster and faster, so you're lifted to a 70-degree angle by a centrifugal force that's the equivalent of 3 g-forces.
The newest ride, SkyJump Las Vegas, is a controlled free-fall that sends you careening off the side of the 108th floor.
- Address: Stratosphere, 2000 Las Vegas Blvd. S, North Strip, Las Vegas, NV, 89104 | Map It
- Phone: 702/380-7711
- Cost: Tower $18 adults, $10 kids; Big Shot, XScream or Insanity $15; SkyJump $109 and up; Unlimited rides and tower day pass $34
- Hours: Sun.--Thurs. 10 am--1 am, Fri. and Sat. 10 am--2 am
- Website: www.stratospherehotel.com/Tower/Rides
- Location: North Strip
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $22 & up -- Las Vegas Resort Sale, Up to 30% Off Caesars Entertainment
- $75 & up -- Las Vegas Family-Friendly Resort w/Breakfast Desert Rose Resort
- $55 -- Las Vegas: 'Pawn Stars' VIP Tour, $10 Off Pawn Stars VIP Tour
- $59-$69 -- Vegas 4-Star Hotel incl. 2-for-1 'Cirque' Tickets — $59-$69 Treasure Island
- $100 -- Vegas: 'Mystere' by Cirque du Soleil & Dinner — $100 Mystère Cirque du Soleil
Four gals (60ish!) are staying at a resort June 6-11th in South Lake Tahoe w/ a rental car. We enjoy sight seeing. shopping. kayaking. casinos. live bands. happy hours. Looking to add to our itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Keeping up with what's hot on the Vegas Strip feels like a full-time job...unless you follow @VegasBill... Read more
When your friends ask what you're up to over the weekend, you can say you'll just be on the green with... Read more
Las Vegas visitors have a new club to splurge on: American Express has opened their Centurion Club a... Read more