- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Stratosphere Thrill Rides
Stratosphere Thrill Rides Review
High above the Strip at the tip of the Stratosphere Tower are three major thrill rides that will scare the bejeezus out of you, especially if you have even the slightest fear of heights. Don't even think about heading up here if you have serious vertigo. People have been known to get sick just watching these rides.
The Big Shot would be a monster ride on the ground, but starting from the 112th floor—and climaxing at more than 1,000 feet above the Strip—makes it twice as wild. Four riders are strapped into chairs on four sides of the needle, which rises from the Stratosphere's observation pod. With little warning, you're flung 160 feet up the needle at 45 mph, then dropped like a rock. The whole thing is over in less than a minute, but your knees will wobble for the rest of the day.
The XScream tips passengers 27 feet over the edge of the tower like a giant seesaw again and again. Sit in the very front to get an unobstructed view of the Strip, more than 800 feet straight down!
Another unobstructed view can be seen by dangling over the edge of the tower off the arm of Insanity. The arm pivots and hangs you out 64 feet from the edge of the tower; then it spins you faster and faster, so you're lifted to a 70-degree angle by a centrifugal force that's the equivalent of 3 g-forces.
The newest ride, SkyJump Las Vegas, is a controlled free-fall that sends you careening off the side of the 108th floor.
- Address: Stratosphere, 2000 Las Vegas Blvd. S, North Strip, Las Vegas, NV 89104 | Map It
- Phone: 702/380–7711
- Cost: Tower $18 adults, $10 kids; Big Shot, XScream or Insanity $15; SkyJump $109 and up; Unlimited rides and tower day pass $34
- Hours: Sun.–Thurs. 10 am–1 am, Fri. and Sat. 10 am–2 am
- Website: www.stratospherehotel.com/Tower/Rides
- Location: North Strip
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
Here is a link to a trip report covering our most recent vacation in Las Vegas
http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99463 Read more
My partner and I are looking at planing a trip to the West Coast in Aug/Sept of 2014. Read more
· News & Features
Our correspondent "studied" hard at the Food & Wine All-Star Weekend in Vegas this month, which featured ... Read more
Whether you're heading to Vegas, or heading back to LA (and trying to forget the weekend's indecencies),... Read more
From buzzing around a track in American muscle cars to popping champagne bottles at the Strip's newes... Read more