- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Downtown Arts District
Downtown Arts District Review
The emergence of the offbeat 18b Arts District (so called because it comprises 18 blocks bounded by South 7th, Main, Bonneville, and Charleston streets on downtown's eastern edge) continues to generate excitement in the city's arts community and, increasingly, among visitors. With a number of funky, independent art galleries in its confines, the area, officially named in 1998, is a growing, thriving cultural hub—think of it as the Anti-Strip. In addition to the galleries—some of which contain impressive collections of locally known and world-famous artists—you'll find interesting eateries and dive bars to serve the alternative artists, musicians, and writers who have gravitated to the neighborhood. Each month the district hosts a "First Friday" gallery walk from 6 to 10 pm with gallery openings, street performers, and entertainment. It's an excellent time to come check out the still-nascent but steadily improving scene for yourself.
Arts Factory. An intriguing concentration of antiques shops and galleries is found on East Charleston Boulevard and Casino Center Drive, anchored by the Arts Factory. This former warehouse houses studios and galleries for art of all types, including painting, photography, and sculpture. The Arts Factory comes alive on "First Friday" with gallery openings, exhibits, receptions, and special events. "Preview Thursday," the day before First Friday, offers the same artwork with fewer crowds. 107 E. Charleston Blvd., 89104. 702/383-3133. www.theartsfactory.com. Free. Daily, 9-6; First Fridays, 6-10 pm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $116* & up -- Last-Minute Las Vegas Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $23 & up -- Las Vegas Resort Sale, Up to 30% Off Caesars Entertainment
- $75 & up -- Las Vegas Family-Friendly Resort w/Breakfast Desert Rose Resort
- $49 -- Red Rock Canyon: Day Tour, $25 Off Red Rock PM Express Tour
- $24-$42 -- Classic Las Vegas Strip Hotel, Save 40% — $24-$42 Riviera Casino & Hotel
The lovely shores of South Tahoe call my name We will have a 4-day weekend to spend there: from July 4, Thursday through July 7 Sunday.
Anybody up for a GTG? We will arrive mid-day, anybody there fo Read more
· News & Features
Keeping up with what's hot on the Vegas Strip feels like a full-time job...unless you follow @VegasBill... Read more
When your friends ask what you're up to over the weekend, you can say you'll just be on the green with... Read more
Las Vegas visitors have a new club to splurge on: American Express has opened their Centurion Club a... Read more