- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Paradise Road and the East Side
The East Side of Las Vegas, an area that includes Paradise Road and stretches to the University District, is as eclectic as it is convenient. Much of the area is residential, save for a handful of (older) resorts that rise from the landscape like beacons. There also is a preponderance of restaurants, extensive medical offices, and most of the area's collegiate athletic facilities.
Paradise Road itself is the Strip's sister street. On the southern end the Hard Rock Hotel is one of the most popular off-Strip resorts in town, and despite the opening of increasingly over-the-top Strip properties, Paradise has remained popular over the years. A number of other resorts, such as the Platinum and the Rumor Boutique Hotel, qualify as nongaming, but are still within walking distance of larger casinos. This stretch also comprises the heart of the area affectionately known as "Fruit Loop," Vegas's gay-friendly neighborhood. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights, the parties at Gipsy and the Piranha Nightclub are some of the biggest raves in town.
Though there aren't any resorts in the University District, UNLV (University of Las Vegas) and the Thomas and Mack Center provide plenty of things to see and do, from sporting events to (on-campus) museums and more. As is the case with most college towns, the cost of living in this neck of the woods is considerably lower than it is elsewhere in town. In other words, you can usually get dinner and a beer for less than $6. You don't have to be a freshman to know that's a good deal.
Paradise Road and the East Side at a Glance
- 35 Steaks + Martinis
- Billy Bob's Steak House
- Crown & Anchor British Pub
- Culinary Dropout
- ENVY Steakhouse
- Firefly Tapas Kitchen
- Hofbräuhaus Las Vegas
- India Oven
- Aliante Station Casino + Hotel
- Green Valley Ranch Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Hooters Casino Hotel
- Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
- The M Resort
- The Platinum Hotel and Spa
Elsewhere in Las Vegas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's