Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive
Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive Review
Less than a mile from the visitor center off Route 488, turn onto this paved road that winds its way up to elevations of 10,000 feet. The road takes you through pygmy forest in lower elevations; as you climb, the air cools as much as 20–30 degrees. Along the way, overlooks offer awe-inspiring views of the Snake Range mountains, and a short hiking trail leads to views of the Osceola mining site. Turn off at Mather Overlook, elevation 9,000 feet, for the best photo ops. Allow 1½ hours for the 24-mile round-trip, not including hikes.
- Address: Just inside park boundary, off Rte. 488 about 5 miles west of Baker, Baker, NV
- Location: Great Basin National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Here is a link to my latest TR
http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105901 Read more
We flew out of SFO late Saturday; the Virgin Airline plane was half-full. Read more
Flying into LV for a couple of nights, then have 6 nights in LA - thought I would make the drive to LA a little more interesting by going via Death Valley...
Is this possible? Advisable?? Or would Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more