- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Skalkaho Highway Review
Three miles south of Hamilton, turn east onto Route 38, also known as the Skalkaho Highway, and you'll find yourself on a beautiful, seldom-traveled route leading into the Sapphire Mountains and on to the Georgetown Lake area near Anaconda. This fair-weather road is best traveled in summer, since 20 mi of it are gravel. Mountain bikers tour here, and there are plenty of hiking trails through the 23,000-acre Skalkaho Wildlife Preserve. Note that trailers are not recommended. Forest Road 1352 into the preserve is closed October 15 to December 1, making that a fine time for nonmotorized travel. Only 10 mi of the Skalkaho Highway are plowed in winter, which means the area is excellent for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hey! Read more
I've spent the past two months writing, narrating, and editing together this traditionally styled travelogue about a ridiculous loop drive (done traditionally as well: byways, no GPS, no hotels) in a ridiculous Read more
Flying into and out of Bozeman (would have liked to flew into Jackson and out of Bozeman or visa versa, however that was not possible), will be there for one week. Read more
· News & Features
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more