Stevensville, population 1,550, sits on the site of the state’s first non–Native American settlement, St. Mary’s Mission, a restored treasure that dates back to 1841. Nearby Fort Owen is a partially restored 1850s trading post. The town itself is named for General Isaac Stevens, who was in charge of the Northwest Territory’s military posts and Native American affairs. Today it’s a mix of beautiful old homes and haphazard modern construction in a lush valley.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2016
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More