- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The more than 75 mi of shoreline of the Canyon Ferry Recreation Area make a great place to fish, boat, sail, camp, and watch wildlife. The Missouri River once flowed freely here, though now a dam has created a lake. Hwy. 284, near Helena, Townsend, MT, 59644. 406/475-3310.
You can rent pontoon, fishing, and pedal boats from Kim's Marina, RV Park and Store 8015 Canyon Ferry Rd., 2 mi east of dam on Hwy. 284, Helena. 406/475-3723. www.kimsmarina.com.
In their travels on the Missouri River, Lewis and Clark made note of towering limestone cliffs. Gates of the Mountains boat tours take you past these same great stone walls, which rise 1,200 feet above the river. Off I-15, 20 mi north of Helena, Helena, MT, 59601. 406/458-5241. www.gatesofthemountains.com. Memorial Day-mid-Sept.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Rainbow Motel Fr $77+/Nt Expedia
- $92.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Butte Hotwire
- $44.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Butte Hotwire
- Starting Fr $169: Great Bozeman Price — $169 Hotels.com
- $37.99 & up : Compact rentals in Butte — $38 Hotwire