- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The more than 75 mi of shoreline of the Canyon Ferry Recreation Area make a great place to fish, boat, sail, camp, and watch wildlife. The Missouri River once flowed freely here, though now a dam has created a lake. Hwy. 284, near Helena, Townsend, MT, 59644. 406/475–3310.
You can rent pontoon, fishing, and pedal boats from Kim's Marina, RV Park and Store 8015 Canyon Ferry Rd., 2 mi east of dam on Hwy. 284, Helena. 406/475–3723. www.kimsmarina.com.
In their travels on the Missouri River, Lewis and Clark made note of towering limestone cliffs. Gates of the Mountains boat tours take you past these same great stone walls, which rise 1,200 feet above the river. Off I–15, 20 mi north of Helena, Helena, MT, 59601. 406/458–5241. www.gatesofthemountains.com. Memorial Day–mid-Sept.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's