- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You're likely to see white pelicans, bald eagles, white-tailed deer, and cutthroat trout on single- or multiday float and fishing trips on the Yellowstone River with Big Timber Guides and Rollin' Boulder Outfitters. 529 E. Boulder Rd., last 6 mi on gravel, Box 328, McLeod, MT, 59052. 406/932-4080. www.finditlocal.com/bigtimber/flyfish.html.
You can fish in a private lake or streams at the vast working cattle ranch, Burns Ranch. The 40-acre Burns Lake, with rainbow, cutthroat, brown, and brook trout, is limited to a few anglers a day. This is a registered lake, so no license is necessary. The cost is $100 per rod, and reservations are required. The ranch is 4 mi north of Big Timber on U.S. 191 and then another 4 mi west on Swamp Creek Road. 333 Swamp Creek Rd., Big Timber, MT, 59011. 406/932–4518. Apr.–Oct.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe