- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Big Timber and the Boulder River
People come to Big Timber for its small-town (population 1,600) Western ambience, to fly-fish the blue-ribbon trout streams, float the Yellowstone River, or unwind in front of the Crazy Mountains (so called because a homesteader supposedly went crazy from living in such a remote setting). South of town you can follow the Boulder River in its mad dash out of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. This journey along Highway 298 will take you into wild country, with craggy peaks rising on either side of a lush, ranch-filled valley.
Big Timber and the Boulder River at a Glance
Elsewhere in Helena, Bozeman, and Southwest Montana
- Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness
- Big Hole National Battlefield
- Big Sky and Gallatin Canyon
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's