At a Glance
- spectacular views
- lovely secluded mountain setting
- meals included
- difficult to access
- far from services
- no electricity or running water
Sperry Chalet Review
This elegant backcountry lodge, built in 1913 by the Great Northern Railway, is accessible only by a steep, 6.7-mile trail with a 3,300-foot vertical rise; either hike in or arrive on horseback. Guest rooms have no electricity, heat, or running water, but who cares when the view includes Glacier's Gunsite Mountain, Mt. Edwards, Lake McDonald, and mountain goats in wildflowers. Informal meals, such as turkey with the trimmings, are simple yet filling and included in the rates. Note that the reservations office is closed in September and October.
- Address: On the west side of Gunsite Mountain. Trail to chalet begins at Lake Mcdonald Lodge on the Going-to-the-Sun Rd., Glacier National Park, MT | Map It
- Phone: 406/387–5654; 888/345–2649
- Website: www.sperrychalet.com
- Location: Glacier National Park
- 17 rooms
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed mid-Sept.–early July.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This was a wonderful way to take in the sights of the Western United States. Over 12 days, my friend and I road our motorcycles up Idah... Read more
Hey! Back in 2013, me and my grandparents took a trip headed to South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. The full writeup with pictures is he... Read more
So our hobbits love wildlife and mountains. The bigger one (to be 7) likes "climbing" mountains. This isn't an REI-equipment-necessary thi... Read more