At a Glance
- spectacular views
- lovely secluded mountain setting
- meals included
- difficult to access
- far from services
- no electricity or running water
Sperry Chalet Review
This elegant backcountry lodge, built in 1913 by the Great Northern Railway, is accessible only by a steep, 6.7-mile trail with a 3,300-foot vertical rise; either hike in or arrive on horseback. Guest rooms have no electricity, heat, or running water, but who cares when the view includes Glacier's Gunsite Mountain, Mt. Edwards, Lake McDonald, and mountain goats in wildflowers. Informal meals, such as turkey with the trimmings, are simple yet filling and included in the rates. Note that the reservations office is closed in September and October.
- Address: On the west side of Gunsite Mountain. Trail to chalet begins at Lake Mcdonald Lodge on the Going-to-the-Sun Rd., Glacier National Park, MT | Map It
- Phone: 406/387–5654; 888/345–2649
- Website: www.sperrychalet.com
- Location: Glacier National Park
- 17 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed mid-Sept.–early July.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've spent the past two months writing, narrating, and editing together this traditionally styled travelogue about a ridiculous loop drive (done traditionally as well: byways, no GPS, no hotels) in a ridiculous Read more
Last year (early Aug 2012) I took my daughter to Glacier NP. Read more
Hello-- Any suggestions for my sister and me who will be traveling from Yellowstone to Glacier next summer? Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a ... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more