At a Glance
- spectacular views
- lovely secluded mountain setting
- meals included
- difficult to access
- far from services
- no electricity or running water
Check Rates from our Partners
Sperry Chalet Review
This elegant backcountry lodge, built in 1913 by the Great Northern Railway, is accessible only by a steep, 6.7-mile trail with a 3,300-foot vertical rise; either hike in or arrive on horseback. Guest rooms have no electricity, heat, or running water, but who cares when the view includes Glacier's Gunsite Mountain, Mt. Edwards, Lake McDonald, and mountain goats in wildflowers. Informal meals, such as turkey with the trimmings, are simple yet filling and included in the rates. Note that the reservations office is closed in September and October.
- Address: On the west side of Gunsite Mountain. Trail to chalet begins at Lake Mcdonald Lodge on the Going-to-the-Sun Rd., Glacier National Park, MT | Map It
- Phone: 406/387–5654; 888/345–2649
- Website: www.sperrychalet.com
- Location: Glacier National Park
- 17 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed mid-Sept.–early July.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hey! Read more
I've spent the past two months writing, narrating, and editing together this traditionally styled travelogue about a ridiculous loop drive (done traditionally as well: byways, no GPS, no hotels) in a ridiculous Read more
Flying into and out of Bozeman (would have liked to flew into Jackson and out of Bozeman or visa versa, however that was not possible), will be there for one week. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more