- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grand Union Hotel
At a Glance
- the hotel has a colorful history
- easy walking around town
- friendly atmosphere
- hard to get a room at the last minute
- no lunch at the Union Grille
Check Rates from our Partners
Grand Union Hotel Review
Perhaps the oldest hotel in Montana, the Grand Union was built on the bank of the Missouri in 1882 to serve steamboat and stage travelers. Filled with period pieces, the two-story building is as elegant as ever. With its dark-wood accents and Victorian-style lighting, the Union Grille Restaurant ($$$–$$$$) brings to mind the refinement cultivated by the Western frontier's elite. The seasonal menu features Montana regional cuisine and fare from afar, including local roasted chicken, cocoa-dusted elk loin with espresso-whipped mashed potatoes, and grilled buffalo rib eye. The varied wine list is populated predominantly by choices from California and Washington vineyards, and offers a number of exceptional beer choices from Montana microbreweries.
- Address: 1 Grand Union Sq. Box 1119, Fort Benton, MT 59442 | Map It
- Phone: 406/622–1882; 888/838–1882
- Website: www.grandunionhotel.com
- Location: Fort Benton
- 26 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Restaurant closed Mon. and Tues. in winter. No lunch.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've spent the past two months writing, narrating, and editing together this traditionally styled travelogue about a ridiculous loop drive (done traditionally as well: byways, no GPS, no hotels) in a ridiculous Read more
Last year (early Aug 2012) I took my daughter to Glacier NP. Read more
Hello-- Any suggestions for my sister and me who will be traveling from Yellowstone to Glacier next summer? Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more