- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Stretching 134 mi across the border between the Big Open and the Hi-Line (U.S. 2), Fort Peck Reservoir is a prime outdoor-adventure destination. Fishing is especially popular here, with walleye being the lake's most well-known and hotly pursued fish. Other species include northern pike, lake trout, smallmouth bass, and Chinook salmon. Outfitters are hard to come by, so be sure to get most of your supplies before you arrive.
The lake is the venue for the annual Governor's Cup Walleye Tournament held the second weekend in July. Fort Peck, MT. 406/228-2222. www.mtgovcup.com/.
The Fort Peck Dredge Cuts, also known as the Fort Peck Trout Pond, is a state fishing access site just below Fort Peck Dam off the Missouri River. It has a boat launch and family-friendly swimming beaches. Hwy. 117, Fort Peck, MT, 59223. 406/228-3700.
The Rock Creek Marina has marina facilities, a boat launch, and a modern campground on the remote Big Dry Arm of the lake. Fort Peck Marina on the west side of Fort Peck Dam is probably the most accessible concession on the big lake. The store has basic and walleye-specific fishing tackle, basic groceries, bait, boat gas, and a boat-repair facility. The associated bar has beverages to go or for on-site consumption, and a simple restaurant. West End Dr. 406/526-3442 652 S. Rock Creek Rd., Fort Peck, MT, 59223. 406/485-2560.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Billings Hotwire
- Book 3-Star Hilton Garden Inn Billings in Billings Fr $239+/Nt Expedia
- $8.95 & up : Compact rentals in Billings Hotwire
- $93.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Billings — $93 Hotwire
- $9.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Billings — $10 Hotwire