- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting around the Twin Cities is easiest with a car and will allow you the farthest reach of activities. Avoid rush hour for optimal driving conditions (and four-wheel drive is a blessing in the winter snow). Both downtowns have ample parking garages and metered parking, but keep alert for the one-way streets. Note that the popular Nicollet Mall, downtown Minneapolis's shopping and eating hub, is open only to buses and cabs, and use caution on Hennepin Avenue, another main artery in downtown Minneapolis that is one-way in some areas. The I-94 Lyndale/Hennepin exit to Uptown can also be tricky.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129 -- Chic Minneapolis Hotel w/$25 Credit, incl. Weekends The Commons Hotel
- $55 -- 4-Star Minneapolis Hotel near Mall of America Hotwire.com