Detroit's Classy Cousin
Detroit casts a long shadow over downtown Windsor, Ontario, its Canadian neighbor to the south (yes, south). Just across the Detroit River, Windsor is best known to Michiganians as the home of the Windsor Casino.
There's plenty more here than slot machines and poker faces. One of Canada's larger cities, Windsor is also home to wonderful, intimate restaurants (try The Mini for Vietnamese, Spago for Italian, or La Cuisine for French), European-style shopping, and scenic city parks that provide stunning views of the river and the city across the way.
Add to this the brute strength of the American dollar and Windsor becomes quite a bargain. Access to the city is from the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel at the foot of the Renaissance Center or from the Ambassador Bridge off I–75 near Mexicantown. Be sure to bring proof of citizenship—while it may look familiar, you're still leaving the United States.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe