Emily Dickinson Museum
Emily Dickinson Museum Review
The famed Amherst poet lived here her entire life (1830-86) in this brick Federal-style home. Admission is by guided tour only, and the highlight is getting to stand in the sunlit bedroom where the poet wrote many of her works. The museum is outfitted with period accoutrements, including original wall hangings and lace curtains. To say that the tour guides are knowledgeable in Dickinson's story would be a massive understatement.
The Evergreens. Next door is The Evergreens, an imposing Italianate Victorian mansion in which Emily's brother Austin and his family resided for more than 50 years. Unlike the Dickinson homestead, which has few of the family's original possessions, the Evergreens is packed with Austin's family's heirlooms. 214 Main St., 01002. 413/253-5272.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com
So what are the odds that my only friend who lives in Boston would decide to have her wedding festivities the same week that a supposed terrorist was on the lose in Boston?!
My husband and I flew to Bosto Read more
8 of us went to the Patriot's Day game on Monday. Read more
For a general sightseeing drive & stay, how many days/nights would be appropriate for the above path? Read more
· News & Features
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more