Sports and the Outdoors
Northfield Mountain Recreation & Environmental Center. The 26 miles of trails here are suited for mountain biking, hiking, and horseback riding. The center also runs 1½-hour riverboat tours of the Connecticut River between Northfield and Gill, where you'll pass through a dramatically narrow gorge and get a close look at a nesting ground for bald eagles. The tours ($12), offered between July and mid-October, are Friday to Sunday at 11, 1:15, and 3. In winter, the center rents cross-country skis and snowshoes and offers lessons. 99 Miller's Falls Rd., Northfield, VT, 01360. 413/659–3714 or 800/859–2960. www.firstlightpower.com/northfield. Free. Daily 9–5.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's