Sports and the Outdoors
Northfield Mountain Recreation & Environmental Center. The 26 miles of trails here are suited for mountain biking, hiking, and horseback riding. You can rent canoes, kayaks at the campground at Barton Cove and the adventurous can paddle 14 miles upstream to the Munn's Ferry campground, accessible only by canoe. The center also runs 1½-hour riverboat tours of the Connecticut River between Northfield and Gill, where you'll pass through a dramatically narrow gorge and get a close look at a nesting ground for bald eagles. The tours ($12), offered between mid-June and mid-October, are Friday to Sunday at 11, 1:15, and 3. In winter, the center rents cross-country skis and snowshoes and offers lessons. 99 Miller's Falls Rd., Northfield, VT, 01360. 413/659-3714 or 800/859-2960. www.firstlightpower.com/northfield. Free. Daily 9-5.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $158 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $158 Hotwire.com