If you like convenience and amenities close at hand, Greenfield makes a pleasant base for exploring the northern region of Pioneer Valley. Sprawl has hit the area, and you'll find fast-food joints and chain stores lining the main drags in and out of the city, but downtown Main Street has been left largely untouched, as evidenced by mainstays such as Wilson's Department Store or the old-style Garden Cinemas.
Greenfield at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Sturbridge and The Pioneer Valley
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's