- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whaling Museum Review
With exhibits that include a fully rigged whaleboat and a skeleton of a 46-foot sperm whale, this museum—a complex that includes a restored 1846 spermaceti candle factory—is a must-see attraction that offers a crash course in the island's colorful history. Items on display include harpoons and other whale-hunting implements; portraits of whaling captains and their wives (a few of whom went whaling as well); the South Seas curiosities they brought home; a large collection of sailors' crafts, a full-size tryworks once used to process whale oil; and the original 16-foot-high 1850 lens from Sankaty Head Lighthouse. The Children's Discovery Room provides interactive-learning opportunities. Be sure to climb—or take the elevator—up to the observation deck for a view of the harbor.
- Address: 13-15 Broad St., Nantucket Town, MA, 02554 | Map It
- Phone: 508/228-1894
- Cost: $17, $20 combination pass includes Hadwen House and Oldest House
- Hours: Early Feb.--late Apr., weekends 11--4; May--mid-Oct., daily 10--5; mid-Oct.--mid-Dec., Thurs.--Mon. 11--4. Closed Jan.
- Website: www.nha.org
- Location: Nantucket Town
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com
So what are the odds that my only friend who lives in Boston would decide to have her wedding festivities the same week that a supposed terrorist was on the lose in Boston?!
My husband and I flew to Bosto Read more
8 of us went to the Patriot's Day game on Monday. Read more
For a general sightseeing drive & stay, how many days/nights would be appropriate for the above path? Read more
· News & Features
The Nantucket Wine Festival draws sommeliers, winemakers, chefs, and passionate imbibers together every ... Read more
What's the best way to beat winter blues?... Read more
Some say it's not summer till you've got your boat shoes on.... Read more