- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The Nantucket Historical Association's 90-minute Historic Nantucket Walking Tours, offered twice daily in season ($10), provide an overview of the island's history and encompass such sites as Petticoat Row, upper Main Street, and the wharves, churches, and library. The self-guided Black Heritage Trail tour covers nine sites in and around town, including the African Meeting House, the Whaling Museum, and the Atheneum. The trail guide is free from the Friends of the African Meeting House on Nantucket, which also leads a "Walk the Black Heritage Trail" tour by appointment in season.
Nantucket Historical Association. The Nantucket Historical Association (NHA) maintains an assortment of venerable properties in town. A $20 pass gets you into all of the association's sites, including the glorious Whaling Museum. A $6 pass excludes the Whaling Museum but includes the Oldest House, Old Mill, Old Gaol, Greater Light, and the Fire Hose Cart House. Two very popular walking tours (reservations strongly recommended; $10) depart daily from late May to early November: a 60-minute downtown tour and an 80-minute historic house tour. 508/228-1894. www.nha.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe