- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Like many Cape Cod towns, Wellfleet is spread out on either side of U.S. 6. Wellfleet Village is on the bay side, about 3 mi north of the entrance to Marconi Beach. Main Street makes its way past several businesses. A left turn will take you toward the harbor along Commercial Street, which is full of shops and galleries. The downtown center of Wellfleet is quite compact, so it's best to leave your car in one of the public parking areas and take off on foot.
For a scenic loop through a classic Cape landscape near Wellfleet's Atlantic beaches—with scrub and pines on the left, heathland meeting cliffs and ocean below on the right—take LeCount Hollow Road just north of the Marconi Station turnoff. All the beaches on this strip rest at the bottom of a tall grass-covered dune, which lends dramatic character to this outermost shore. Winter storms continue to drastically alter the dunescape; don't be surprised to find a precipitous descent to area beaches.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's