- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Driving Scenic Route 6A
Route 6A heads east from Sandwich, passing through the oldest settlements on the Cape. Part of the Old King's Highway historic district, the route is protected from development. Classic inns and enticing antiques shops alternate with traditional gray-shingle homes on this tree-lined road, and the woods periodically give way to broad vistas across the marshes.
In autumn the foliage along the way is bright; maples with their feet wet in ponds and marshes put on a good display. Along Route 6A just east of Sandwich Center, you can stop to watch cranberries being harvested in flooded bogs.
If you're heading down-Cape and you have plenty of time, this is a lovely route to take. And if you do wish to take the faster but less-interesting U.S. 6 as your primary route through the region, it's easy to hop off here and there and travel certain stretches of parallel Route 6A. Barnstable, Dennis, and Brewster offer plenty to explore.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's