- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
The Mid Cape makes a great base for exploring the region, as day trips to the Outer Cape are perfectly feasible from here. Hyannis has everything you could want, whether it's beachfront lodging, diversions for the kids, or being able to leave your car in the lot and walk to restaurants, shopping, and attractions. Since ferries to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard depart from Hyannis, it provides very easy access to the islands.
If you prefer a quieter setting, head to the smaller towns. Driving the narrow and tree-shaded Old King's Highway (Route 6A) is an adventure in itself, and can take days depending on your penchant for antiques shops, nature trails, art galleries, and beautiful beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn