- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Exploring by bike: Bike along the scenic 25-mi Cape Cod Rail Trail, which begins in South Dennis and ends in South Wellfleet. There are plenty of stops along the way for ice cream, refreshing swims, nature watching, and impromptu picnics.
Making beautiful music: Impressive acts take to the stage for summertime performances at the Cape Cod Melody Tent in Hyannis and the Cape Playhouse in Dennis. Find other live music at a many restaurants in Hyannis.
Taking a dip in the ponds: The area has a number of freshwater kettle ponds, created by receding glaciers eons ago. Pond beaches are usually not crowded and appeal to those who like cooling off in gentle water without the salt and sand.
Shopping for special items: There's a bounty of shopping at the boutiques, crafts shops, bookstores, antiques centers, and galleries along beautiful Route 6A.
Enjoying the sunset: The gentle surf and long stretches of sand at Sandy Neck Beach, along the north side of Barnstable Harbor, make it ideal for sunset viewing. This is one of the Cape's loveliest beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn