Though it looks a bit like a bank, St. Paul's is actually the first Boston structure built in the Greek Revival style (1820). It was established by a group of wealthy and influential patriots who wanted a wholly American Episcopal parish—the two existing Episcopal churches, Christ Church (Old North) and Trinity, were both founded before the Revolution—that would contrast with the existing colonial and "gothick" structures around town. The building was to be topped
with an entablature showing St. Paul preaching to the Corinthians—but the pediment remained uncarved for 190 years. Finally, in 2012, Philadelphia-based sculptor Donald Lipski, chosen out of a field of 150 artists, inscribed a nautilus shell into the pediment on a blue background, making for a contemporary and striking monument.