- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Paul Revere House
Paul Revere House Review
Originally on the site was the parsonage of the Second Church of Boston, home to the Rev. Increase Mather, the Second Church's minister. Mather's house burned in the great fire of 1676, and the house that Revere was to occupy was built on its location about four years later, nearly a hundred years before Revere's 1775 midnight ride through Middlesex County. Revere owned it from 1770 until 1800, although he lived there for only 10 years and rented it out for the next two decades. Pre-1900 photographs show it as a shabby warren of storefronts and apartments. The clapboard sheathing is a replacement, but 90% of the framework is original; note the Elizabethan-style overhang and leaded windowpanes. A few Revere furnishings are on display here, and just gazing at his silverwork—much more of which is displayed at the Museum of Fine Arts—brings the man alive. Special events are scheduled throughout the year, many designed with children in mind.
The immediate neighborhood also has Revere associations. The little park in North Square is named after Rachel Revere, his second wife, and the adjacent brick Pierce-Hichborn House once belonged to relatives of Revere. The garden connecting the Revere house and the Pierce-Hichborn House is planted with flowers and medicinal herbs favored in Revere's day.
- Address: 19 North Sq., North End, Boston, MA 02113 | Map It
- Phone: 617/523–2338
- Cost: $3.50, $5.50 with Pierce-Hichborn House
- Hours: Mid-April–Oct. 9:30–5:15, Nov.–mid-April 9:30–4:15. Closed Mondays Jan.–March.
- Website: www.paulreverehouse.org
- Metro Haymarket, Aquarium, Government Center.
- Location: Government Center and the North End
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Falmouth in the Fall-a week on the Cape
Day One-Thanks to a gift from good friend we enjoyed a timeshare week in Falmouth, Mass. Read more
JetBlue had a special of $97 RT from Houston to Boston, so I jumped on it! Read more
Once again a special Christmas tree has been transported from Nova Scotia to Boston where it is standing on the Common. Read more
· News & Features
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter. ... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more
This week has been a strange and tragic one and we've followed the events in Boston with heavy hearts... Read more