- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Paul Revere House
Paul Revere House Review
Originally on the site was the parsonage of the Second Church of Boston, home to the Rev. Increase Mather, the Second Church's minister. Mather's house burned in the great fire of 1676, and the house that Revere was to occupy was built on its location about four years later, nearly a hundred years before Revere's 1775 midnight ride through Middlesex County. Revere owned it from 1770 until 1800, although he lived there for only 10 years and rented it out for the next two decades. Pre-1900 photographs show it as a shabby warren of storefronts and apartments. The clapboard sheathing is a replacement, but 90% of the framework is original; note the Elizabethan-style overhang and leaded windowpanes. A few Revere furnishings are on display here, and just gazing at his silverwork—much more of which is displayed at the Museum of Fine Arts—brings the man alive. Special events are scheduled throughout the year, many designed with children in mind.
The immediate neighborhood also has Revere associations. The little park in North Square is named after Rachel Revere, his second wife, and the adjacent brick Pierce-Hichborn House once belonged to relatives of Revere. The garden connecting the Revere house and the Pierce-Hichborn House is planted with flowers and medicinal herbs favored in Revere's day.
- Address: 19 North Sq., North End, Boston, MA 02113 | Map It
- Phone: 617/523–2338
- Cost: $3.50, $5.50 with Pierce-Hichborn House
- Hours: Mid-April–Oct. 9:30–5:15, Nov.–mid-April 9:30–4:15. Closed Mondays Jan.–March.
- Website: www.paulreverehouse.org
- Metro Haymarket, Aquarium, Government Center.
- Location: Government Center and the North End
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband is currently at Mass General so I've been hanging out in Boston for the past few days. Read more
We (a family of 4 with a teenager and a preschooler) live in the suburbs of Boston, but hosted out of town visitors for a weekend (a family with similarly aged kids). Read more
Planning a trip late June flying into Washington, DC, then driving to Philly, NY, and Boston (where we will fly home from). Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more