- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Check Rates from our Partners
Liberty Hotel Boston Review
When it opened in late 2007, the buzz around the Liberty was deafening. Bankers, tech geeks, foreign playboys, and fashionistas all scrambled to call it their own, and after a few months the hotel felt more like a nightclub than a retreat. A few years later, the hype has thankfully died down. Yes, some still hit the reborn Charles Street Jail's cheekily named bar and restaurant, Alibi and Clink, and its outstanding Italian-Mediterranean restaurant, Scampo, but the focus is more or less on guests. Rooms are either in the original granite building or an adjacent 16-story modern tower; both sets carry a jailhouse chic aesthetic, albeit one with luxe linens, Wi-Fi, and views of the Charles River. Some Fodorites complain that quarters in the old section reverberate with noise from Alibi well into the night, but others know that the lively environs are just part of the experience. All parties agree that few places in town can rival the hotel's soaring lobby—ringed by several layers of revamped metal catwalks—for a glass of bubbly on plush leather couches.
When Prison is a Pleasure
The Liberty Hotel is one prison where we'd never want to use our "Get Out of Jail Free" card. This adaptive reuse of the former Charles Street jail is the perfect marriage between historic preservation and hyper-modern design. The intrigue and originality of celebrating Boston's dark side in high style fosters an endless buzz throughout the multi-storied bustling lobby and the hotel's numerous drinking and dining outlets. Where else in the world can you booze it up in the former DUI holding cells or indulge in American cuisine in the vestiges of original cells? Keeping the Jailhouse Rock alive, the Liberty Hotel hosts a full range of weekly social events dubbed "Liberty Affairs," which are now staples in the Boston social scene.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $429* & up -- Premium Economy to Boston from California, O/W Virgin America
- $149-$199 -- Cambridge, Mass. Hotel near University, 20% Off Boston Marriott Cambridge
- $245-$281 -- Downtown Boston Hotel Through Summer Holiday Inn Express Boston Garden
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $197 & up -- Boston: AAA 4-Diamond Waterfront Hotel, 40% Off — $197 The Westin Boston Waterfront
So what are the odds that my only friend who lives in Boston would decide to have her wedding festivities the same week that a supposed terrorist was on the lose in Boston?!
My husband and I flew to Bosto Read more
8 of us went to the Patriot's Day game on Monday. Read more
Have tickets for tomorrow nights game at Fenway Park but they recently added another day game (rain makeup) to make it a double header. Read more
· News & Features
This week has been a strange and tragic one and we've followed the events in Boston with heavy hearts ... Read more
If you want to help in the aftermath of Monday afternoon's bombings near the finish line of the Bosto... Read more
We've thought of 5 reasons for East Coasters to brave chilly temps—an afternoon of culture.... Read more