- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts
Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts Review
This gravity-defying mass of concrete and glass, built in 1963 to contrast with the now-defunct and more traditional Fogg Art Museum next door, is the only building in North America designed by the French architect Le Corbusier. The open floor plan provides students with five stories of flexible workspace, and the large, outward-facing windows ensure that the creative process is always visible and public. The center regularly holds free lectures and receptions with artists on Thursday evenings. At the top of the ramp, the Sert Gallery plays host to changing exhibits of contemporary works and has a café. The Main Gallery on the ground floor often showcases work by students and faculty. The Harvard Film Archive downstairs screens films nightly, often accompanied by discussions with the filmmakers.
- Address: 24 Quincy St., Cambridge, MA 02138 | Map It
- Phone: 617/495–3251
- Cost: Galleries free, film screenings $9
- Hours: Main Gallery Mon.–Sat. 10 am–11 pm, Sun. 1 pm–11 pm; Sert Gallery Tues.–Sun. 1–5. Exhibits closed in the summer.
- Website: www.ves.fas.harvard.edu/ccva.html
- Metro Harvard.
- Location: Cambridge
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband is currently at Mass General so I've been hanging out in Boston for the past few days. Read more
We (a family of 4 with a teenager and a preschooler) live in the suburbs of Boston, but hosted out of town visitors for a weekend (a family with similarly aged kids). Read more
My nieces and I are going to be spending a week in Prince Edward Island, and spending the previous week going from Boston area (we'll spend three days or so there, probably Saturday to Monday) and are due Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more