- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts
Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts Review
This gravity-defying mass of concrete and glass, built in 1963 to contrast with the now-defunct and more traditional Fogg Art Museum next door, is the only building in North America designed by the French architect Le Corbusier. The open floor plan provides students with five stories of flexible workspace, and the large, outward-facing windows ensure that the creative process is always visible and public. The center regularly holds free lectures and receptions with artists on Thursday evenings. At the top of the ramp, the Sert Gallery plays host to changing exhibits of contemporary works and has a café. The Main Gallery on the ground floor often showcases work by students and faculty. The Harvard Film Archive downstairs screens films nightly, often accompanied by discussions with the filmmakers.
- Address: 24 Quincy St., Cambridge, MA 02138 | Map It
- Phone: 617/495–3251
- Cost: Galleries free, film screenings $9
- Hours: Main Gallery Mon.–Sat. 10 am–11 pm, Sun. 1 pm–11 pm; Sert Gallery Tues.–Sun. 1–5. Exhibits closed in the summer.
- Website: www.ves.fas.harvard.edu/ccva.html
- Metro Harvard.
- Location: Cambridge
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Falmouth in the Fall-a week on the Cape
Day One-Thanks to a gift from good friend we enjoyed a timeshare week in Falmouth, Mass. Read more
JetBlue had a special of $97 RT from Houston to Boston, so I jumped on it! Read more
Looking to visit the NE section of the US this summer with our teen daughters & need advice on how to plan.
We're hoping to spend 3-4 days in Boston, NYC, & Washington DC while spending a few days Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more