- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mt. Auburn Cemetery
Mt. Auburn Cemetery Review
A cemetery might not strike you as a first choice for a visit, but this one is a pleasure. Opened in 1831, it was the country's first garden cemetery, and more than 90,000 people have been buried here—among them Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Mary Baker Eddy, Winslow Homer, Amy Lowell, Isabella Stewart Gardner, and architect Charles Bullfinch. The grave of engineer Buckminster Fuller bears an engraved geodesic dome. In spring local nature lovers and bird-watchers come out of the woodwork to see the warbler migrations and the glorious blossoms. Brochures, maps, and audio tours are at the entrance.
- Address: 580 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge, MA 02138 | Map It
- Phone: 617/547–7105
- Hours: Grounds open 8–8. Call for information about tours and special events. Office hours: Mon.–Fri. 8:30–4:30; Sat. 8:30 to noon.
- Website: www.mountauburn.org
- Metro Harvard; then Watertown (71) or Waverly (73) bus to cemetery.
- Location: Cambridge
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Falmouth in the Fall-a week on the Cape
Day One-Thanks to a gift from good friend we enjoyed a timeshare week in Falmouth, Mass. Read more
JetBlue had a special of $97 RT from Houston to Boston, so I jumped on it! Read more
we are family of 5 , kids ages are 10 to 16 . Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more