- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Massachusetts Historical Society
Massachusetts Historical Society Review
The first historical society in the United States (founded in 1791) has paintings, a library, and a 12-million-piece manuscript collection from 17th-century New England to the present. Among these manuscripts are the Adams Family Papers, which comprise more than 300,000 pages from the letters and diaries of generations of the Adams family, including papers from John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Casual visitors are welcome, but if you'd like to examine the papers in depth, call ahead. The Society also offers a variety of programs and special exhibits.
- Address: 1154 Boylston St., Back Bay, Boston, MA 02215 | Map It
- Phone: 617/536–1608
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Gallery hours: weekdays 10–4, Sat. 10–4. Library hours: weekdays 9–4:45 (Tues. until 7:45 pm), Sat. 9–4.
- Website: www.masshist.org
- Metro Hynes.
- Location: Back Bay and the South End
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband is currently at Mass General so I've been hanging out in Boston for the past few days. Read more
We (a family of 4 with a teenager and a preschooler) live in the suburbs of Boston, but hosted out of town visitors for a weekend (a family with similarly aged kids). Read more
My girlfriend and I are going to a red sox game at fenway park in late may. Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more