- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boston Massacre Site
Boston Massacre Site Review
Directly in front of the Old State House a circle of cobblestones (on a traffic island) marks the site of the Boston Massacre. It was on the snowy evening of March 5, 1770, that nine British regular soldiers fired in panic upon a taunting mob of more than 75 Bostonians. Five townsmen died. In the legal action that followed, the defense of the accused soldiers was undertaken by John Adams and Josiah Quincy, both of whom vehemently opposed British oppression but were devoted to the principle of fair trial. All but two of the nine regulars charged were acquitted; the others were branded on the hand for the crime of manslaughter. Paul Revere lost little time in capturing the "massacre" in a dramatic engraving that soon became one of the Revolution's most potent images of propaganda.
- Address: Devonshire and Court Sts., Downtown, Boston, MA 02108 | Map It
- Website: www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/bostonmassacre.asp
- Metro State.
- Location: Downtown Boston
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband is currently at Mass General so I've been hanging out in Boston for the past few days. Read more
We (a family of 4 with a teenager and a preschooler) live in the suburbs of Boston, but hosted out of town visitors for a weekend (a family with similarly aged kids). Read more
My husband and I are trying to plan a trip for June 28- July 6 of this year. Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more