- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)
Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Review
Incorporated in 1811, MGH has traditionally been regarded as the nation's premier general hospital. The domed, granite Bulfinch Building was designed in 1818 by Boston's leading architect, Charles Bulfinch. Harvard Medical School was once on the grounds of Massachusetts General, and today the hospital is the school's oldest teaching affiliate.
Amphitheater. It was in the hospital's amphitheater that, on October 16, 1846, Dr. John Collins Warren performed the first public demonstration of a patient being anesthetized using ether; the place was promptly nicknamed the "Ether Dome." You may visit the amphitheater today when it's not in use (admission free; open daily 9–5) and see the fourth-floor display describing the procedure that made modern surgery possible. Main entrance on N. Grove St.; turn right after coffee shop.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Falmouth in the Fall-a week on the Cape
Day One-Thanks to a gift from good friend we enjoyed a timeshare week in Falmouth, Mass. Read more
JetBlue had a special of $97 RT from Houston to Boston, so I jumped on it! Read more
Hi, so my siblings and are looking to send out parents on a weekend getaway as their present for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more
This week has been a strange and tragic one and we've followed the events in Boston with heavy hearts... Read more