- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University Review
This 281-acre living laboratory is somewhat incongruously set in a dense urban area. Established in 1872 in accordance with the terms of a bequest from New Bedford merchant James Arnold, it contains more than 4,000 kinds of woody plants, most from the hardy north temperate zone. It's a mecca for runners, cyclists, dog-walkers, and families. The rhododendrons, azaleas, lilacs, magnolias, and fruit trees are eye-popping when in bloom, and something is always in season from early April through September. In October the park puts on a display in blazing colors. Peters Hill has a grand view of the Boston skyline and local surroundings. The Larz Anderson bonsai collection contains individual specimens imported from Japan that are more than 200 years old. In the visitor center there is a 40-to-1 scale model of the arboretum (with 4,000 tiny trees), plus rotating exhibits. If you visit during May, Lilac Sunday on Mother's Day is an annual celebration of blooming trees, family-friendly activities, and picnicking (the only day it's allowed). The arboretum, 6 miles from downtown Boston, is accessible by the MBTA Orange Line or Bus 39 from Copley Square to the Custer Street stop in Jamaica Plain (3 blocks away).
- Address: 125 Arborway, at Centre St. Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA 02130 | Map It
- Phone: 617/524–1718
- Cost: Donations accepted
- Hours: Grounds daily dawn–dusk; visitor center (which is closed Wed.) Apr.–Oct. daily 11–6, Nov.–Mar. noon–4. Call for walking tours info.
- Website: www.arboretum.harvard.edu
- Metro Forest Hills.
- Location: Boston Outskirts
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Falmouth in the Fall-a week on the Cape
Day One-Thanks to a gift from good friend we enjoyed a timeshare week in Falmouth, Mass. Read more
JetBlue had a special of $97 RT from Houston to Boston, so I jumped on it! Read more
Looking to visit the NE section of the US this summer with our teen daughters & need advice on how to plan.
We're hoping to spend 3-4 days in Boston, NYC, & Washington DC while spending a few days Read more
· News & Features
Talented bartenders Boston-wide are busy flexing their artisanal mixology muscles. ... Read more
Beantown may be cooling down this season, but its culinary scene is only getting hotter.... Read more
Eclectic, sophisticated, and perfectly situated, Boston's new Boxer Hotel is your ideal new Beantown home... Read more