Ice Skating in Boston
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boston Common Frog Pond. Thanks to a refrigerated surface, the Boston Common Frog Pond transforms into a skating park from November to mid-March, complete with a warming hut and concession stand. Admission is $4 for adults; kids 13 and under skate free. Skate rentals cost $9, and lockers are $2. Frog Pond hours are Monday 10 to 4, Tuesday through Thursday and Sunday 10 to 9, and Friday and Saturday 10 to 10. Beacon Hill, Boston, MA, 02108. 617/635-2120. www.bostonfrogpond.com.
Boston Public Garden. Skaters flock to the frozen waters of the lagoon at Boston Public Garden. Ice on one side of the bridge is theoretically reserved for figure skating and the other for faster-paced ice hockey, though most ignore the rule during slow times.
Larz Anderson Park. Outside the city, try the skating rink in Larz Anderson Park, at the top of a wooded hill. Admission for Brookline residents is $5; nonresidents pay $8. Skate rentals are $6. The rink is open from December through early March. 23 Newton St., Brookline, MA, 02446. 617/739-7518.
Public Ice-skating Rinks. The Department of Conservation & Recreation operates more than 20 public ice-skating rinks; hours and season vary by location. Call for a complete list of rinks and their hours of operation. 617/626-1250. www.mass.gov/dcr.
Beacon Hill Skate Shop. Beacon Hill Skate Shop rents skates for use in the Frog Pond and Public Garden. A credit card is required; call in advance and they'll have the skates sharpened and ready for you. 135 Charles St., off Tremont St., near Citi Performing Arts Center, South End, Boston, MA, 02116. 617/482-7400.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com