Golf in Boston
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Massachusetts Golf Association. The Massachusetts Golf Association represents 400 clubs in the state, and has information on courses that are open to the public. 300 Arnold Palmer Blvd., Norton, MA, 02766. 774/430-9100. www.mgalinks.org.
Although you'll need to know someone who knows someone who is someone to play at Chestnut Hill's Country Club, one of the nation's top-rated private courses, anyone can use the public courses in Boston, which are among the best in the country.
George Wright Golf Course. The hilly George Wright Golf Course is more challenging than the other Donald Ross-designed course at Franklin Park. The par-70, 6,096-yard course is open for the season starting in April each year. Weekend 18-hole greens fees are $45 ($40 for residents); weekday fees are $39 ($35 for residents). Tee times are necessary on weekends. 420 West St., Hyde Park, Boston, MA, 02136. 617/364-2300. www.cityofbostongolf.com.
William J. Devine Golf Course at Franklin Park. Donald Ross crafted the 6,009-yard, par-70 William J. Devine Golf Course at Franklin Park
in the early 1896. It's open year-round, weather permitting. Greens fees without a cart are $25 for 9 holes and $40 for 18 holes on weekdays, and $29 and $45, respectively, on weekends. (You can play 9 holes only after 1 pm on weekends.) Charges for a golf cart tend to run about $11 to $20 more. Club rentals run $11 for 9 holes and $20 for 18 holes. The course is part of delightful Franklin Park, which also has picnic facilities and jogging courses. Festivals and other outdoor activities take place all year. 1 Circuit Dr., Dorchester, Boston, MA, 02121. 617/265-4084.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com