Fishing in Boston
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Efforts to clean up the city's waterways have heightened the popularity of recreational fishing in and around Boston.
MassWildlife Boston Office. Nonresidents can purchase a three-day Massachusetts fishing license for $23.50 at the MassWildlife Boston Office, Brookline Town Hall, and some sporting-goods stores around the city. No license is required for recreational ocean angling. 251 Causeway St., North End, Boston, MA, 02114. www.mass.gov/dfwele.
Locals who want to try saltwater fishing cast their lines from the John J. McCorkle Fishing Pier on Castle Island off Day Boulevard in South Boston and Tenean Beach and Victory Road Park off Morrissey Boulevard in Dorchester.
Boston Harbor Islands National Park Area. The Boston Harbor Islands National Park Area is also known for great fishing, although no public piers are available. 617/223-8666. www.bostonislands.com.
Blue Hills Reservation. Houghton's Pond in Blue Hills Reservation is an excellent place to freshwater fish. Off Rte. 128, Milton, Boston, MA, 02186.
Jamaica Pond. You can freshwater fish in Jamaica Pond. Jamaica Way and Pond St., Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA, 02130. www.jamaicapond.com.
Middlesex Fells Reservation. You can fish at Quarter Mile Pond and Dark Hollow Pond in Middlesex Fells Reservation. Off Rte. 93, Woodland Rd., Boston, MA, 02180.
Stony Brook Reservation. Turtle Pond in Stony Brook Reservation has excellent fishing. Turtle Pond Pkwy., Hyde Park, Boston, MA, 02136.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com